[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] git-darcs-import 0.1

Loup Vaillant loup.vaillant at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 10:57:02 EDT 2008

2008/6/3 Darrin Thompson <darrinth at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Bertram Felgenhauer
> <bertram.felgenhauer at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce yet another tool for importing darcs repositories
>> to git. Unlike darcs2git [1] and darcs-to-git [2], it's written in
>> Haskell, on top of the darcs2 source code. The result is a much faster
>> program - it can convert the complete ghc 6.9 branch (without libraries)
>> in less than 15 minutes on my slightly dated machine (Athlon XP 2500+),
>> which is quite fast [3]. Incremental updates work, too.
>>

> What's the appeal of this? I personally love git, but I thought all
> the cool kids at this school used darcs and that was that.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, this is what I've heard. Anyone please
confirm or deny the following?

Basically, git is waaay faster than Darcs on a number of use cases.
So, maybe the point of using this converter is when you just cannot
use Darcs any more (too old/big project, merging huge branch with
loads of conflicts, I don't know).

Another point may be "broadcast-ability": It is possible to expose two
repositories: one Darcs, one Git. If I use Git and not Darcs (please
don't sue me), it will be simpler for me to get the source from the
Git snapshot, provided there is one. Well, if I want to contribute
back... maybe I should switch.

I think the True Heresy (and most useful, if practical) would be to
convert back and forth between the two version control systems,
accepting patches from both :-)

Loup