[Haskell-cafe] Re: Ubuntu and ghc

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 06:33:35 EDT 2008

Claus Reinke wrote:

> - i don't want to have to remove anything explicitly, because    that
> would mean bypassing the haskell installation managers
> - i would want to see a single haskell installation manager
>    for each system,

I think that's fundamentally the wrong approach.  We shouldn't have to
build a "Haskell installation manager".  Would you also want installation
managers for Perl, Python, Ruby, C, C++, etc. each with their own different
user interfaces and feature sets?  I think not - you want a single package
manager for the whole system from which you can install/uninstall libraries
for any language.

This is something that Windows gets completely wrong.  Why do I have twelve
icons in my status bar all representing little programs that are running in
the background checking for updates to their own bits of software?  Why on
earth do I have a Printer Driver Update Manager?  And I'd be wondering the
same thing about a "Haskell installation manager": installation and
dependencies are not something specific to Haskell.

Cheers,
	Simon