[Haskell-cafe] Re: Ubuntu and ghc

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 4 09:13:21 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 14:54 +0200, Ketil Malde wrote:

> > You have a point, though, and I wouldn't mind at all cabal-install
> > being integrated into portage,
>
> I'm not too familiar with portage, but I think a better solution is to
> provide tools to automatically generate packages for the various
> systems.

Yeah, we've got one for gentoo/portage called hackport. That's why we
have so many packages in the haskell overlay. We didn't do them all
manually :-)

> How would you specify dependencies on non-haskell components in a
> portable way?

Unfortunately the same packages get named differently on different
package systems, eg "zlib", "libzlib", "libzlib-dev" etc. It's probably
possible to use reasonably standard names and map to the distro-names.
Doing that reliably is not going to be easy though.

Duncan