[Haskell-cafe] Re: Ubuntu and ghc

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 4 10:31:40 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 15:25 +0200, Achim Schneider wrote:

> Well, you have a point but still don't have one. Many of gentoo's
> haskell .ebuilds are seriously outdated, eg. wxhaskell still depends on
> ghc 6.4. See "Damnit, we need a CPAN"
>
> The haskell overlay features about 240 packages from alex to yi,
> hackage currently lists 596 packages.

You may be interested to know I just tried to install 564 packages from
hackage using cabal-install (others excluded due to missing or
inconsistent dependencies). Of those, 156 failed to install (direct
failure or because they depended on another package that failed). I now
have 157 programs installed in ~/.cabal/bin and ghc-pkg take two and a
half seconds to tell me that I have 454 libraries installed (some were
installed previously via portage).

Duncan