[Haskell-cafe] What is the maturity of Haskell Web Frameworks

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Jun 4 12:39:53 EDT 2008

Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 10:23 -0700, Don Stewart wrote:
>> A new version of happs was written on a Monday a couple of months ago,
>> using fastcgi and takusen. We're running it at galois, and you can
>> find the code on code.haskell.org/hpaste. So not quite what you wanted,
>> but another data point.
>
> That's very interesting. I hope we will also see a version with the same
> feature set implemented with the latest HAppS. It would give an
> interesting comparison of the web frameworks to see the same app
> implemented in both.

I haven't looked at that particular version, but when I last looked at
web frameworks, I was somewhat disappointed.  HAppS seemed to have
little documentation on the current version anyhow, and especially
little coverage on what to do if your app revolved around serving data
from an existing SQL database or other data source rather than its own.

hvac sounds interesting but at that time at least it was not clear
whether it was stable or would continue to be maintained.

xhtml and HStringTemplate were overkill for what I wanted, so I wound up
just using the FastCGI and CGI toolkits themselves.  They are
surprisingly nice, and with a little bit of wrappers around them for
things like validating forms, have worked exceptionally well.

My needs for that project were not complex, the layout was not very
important, and the presentation never changes (only the business logic).
 So I understand that my needs may have been opposite from what most
people face.

-- John