[Haskell-cafe] Re: Laziness leaks

Paul Johnson paul at cogito.org.uk
Thu Jun 5 13:06:20 EDT 2008

Achim Schneider wrote:
> There won't ever be a space leak without a time leak nor a time leak
> without a space leak. I'd just call it a leak.

Actually I think you can have a space leak without a time leak.  For
instance if every time around the main loop I cons data onto a linked
list that never gets freed then I have a space leak.  If the list never
gets used (or more realistically, if the program only ever uses the
first N entries) then there is no time leak.

I agree that a time leak implies a space leak though.

Paul.