[Haskell-cafe] Unable to hc-build ghc 6.6.1

Re, Joseph (IT) Joseph.Re at MorganStanley.com
Tue Jun 10 12:08:14 EDT 2008

> From: Ian Lynagh [mailto:igloo at earth.li]
> You're likely to find it easier to bootstrap by installing a
> bindist onto the machine, unless that is impossible for some reason.

Unfortunately it is due to policy.

> > GenApply.o(.text+0x13a55): In function `s5cr_info':
> > : undefined reference to `base_DataziList_zdsintersperse_info'
>
> Nothing comes to mind. Were the libraries rebuilt after
> building GenApply on the machine on which the hc files were generated?

Nope. After building the hc tarball with a new copy of ghc 6.6.1 on the
host machine, I pulled it along with a new copy of the source tarball
from http://www.haskell.org/ghc onto the target machine. Untarred the hc
files, changed mk/build.mk and fixed mk/bootstrap.mk, and ran
distrib/hc-build.