[Haskell-cafe] Design your modules for qualified import

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sat Jun 14 10:38:33 EDT 2008

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:

> On 6/14/08, Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>>
>> The problem would be again that no one knows, where "Window" comes from.
>> Better would be
>>
> I really don't see how this is a big problem. Lots of languages do
> hierarchical import (e.g. .Net languages) and I don't think I've ever heard
> anyone complain about this particular aspect of it.

It's not a problem for you and thus you do not pay attention to these
complaints, I suspect. Maybe the people who would complain about the
importing style, simply don't use the mentioned languages.

> The worst case scenario is that you need a little bit of tool support to
> help you sort it out. Plus, it's not like you can't just qualify the
> import to make it easier to see where it comes from if you really think
> it's a problem:

Cf.
   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Import_modules_properly

  Haskell can re-export modules, which makes tracing identifiers more
difficult. I want to be able to read modules without using a tool.