[Haskell-cafe] Compiling large code with old machine

Niels Aan de Brugh nielsadb at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 17:24:11 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 13:19 +0100, Samuel Silva wrote:

> I'm using GHC to compile around 700K of Haskell Code generated by HaXml.
> How I compile this code.
> My machine is Windows-XP(512MB RAM, 1.5GHz) running GHC-6.8.2.
>
> How much time it spend to compile this file?
> I spent more than 1 hour and it doesn't finished.

Just out of curiosity, is all that 700K just one big file or did you
split it up into multiple files?

Are you using any "expensive" features? I'm not a GHC exert, but I'd
expect things like type manipulations (e.g. phantom types) to be
expensive (please correct me if this assumption is wrong).

Bottom line: if compiling is so slow consider changing the code
generator so the result is easier to process by GHC instead of fiddling
with command line switches. Since you've chosen to generate the code it
will probably change often and you'll run into this problem more than
once.

Regards,
Niels