[Haskell-cafe] Lambda and closures in PHP -- could someone please comment?

PR Stanley prstanley at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 18 10:40:06 EDT 2008

>It seems to me that if a PHP developer sees the Haskell community as
>a resource for advice on programming language implementation, we
>should take this as a compliment to the Haskell community.  Repaying
>that compliment with "your language sucks rocks"

>  strikes me as unwise.
>
>I'm familiar with a lot of arguments for why PHP is a
>poorly-designed language, and have found them sufficiently
>persuasive that I haven't bothered to learn PHP.  But I don't see
>any point to repeating those arguments on this list.

         Paul: So, you've never bothered to learn PHP. Well, I happen
to know the language very well and therefore feel I am in a good
position to express my views about it. Unlike you, I don't base my
judgment on rumours and hearsay. It is true that PHP fails to capture
the spirit of the classical concept of a function. Type checking in
PHP is equally poor. These are not just my opinions. Are we not to
say anything critical about a programming language even if it happens
to be substantively relevant  lestwe should offend someone? God, if
you want to stick up for your mates here at least come up with  a
convincing cover.
Paul