[Haskell-cafe] Re: Bit Streams

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 14:00:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Dominic Steinitz wrote:
>>
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/binary-strict
>>

> Ooo... looks interesting. Pity I can't look at any documentation for it. (Is
> that *really* Haddoc failing with a parse error on a pragma? Surely not...)
> I'll take a look at this.

Yeah, I just ran into that myself, and "solved" it by removing the
haddock comments for those types.

I think Haddock is a bit oversensitive when it comes to parsing.  It
would be nice if it would at least try to continue when it failed to
parse something.  Of course, that might be easier said than done!

While I'm on the subject, what is the future for binary-strict?  I
recently wanted it since I wanted to catch parse errors, but didn't
wind up using it because I would have had to rewrite a whole bunch of
Binary instances to be separate Binary.Put Binary.Strict.Get
instances, and I'm lazy.  So I did 'length (show result) `seq` return
result" which doesn't win any beauty contests but seems to work.

Inclusion in the official Data.Binary would be nice, especially if it
could be a drop-in replacement, say by changing the Data.Binary
instance definitions to Strict.Binary or something.