[Haskell-cafe] Access to Oracle database from Haskell

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Jun 19 11:17:38 EDT 2008

Is there a way of accessing a remote Oracle database by one of the common
Haskell database interfaces (HaskellDB, Takusen, etc.) ? I tried to get
unixODBC and Oracle's Instant Client running on a Linux machine, but I'm
trapped in the notorious error:

$ isql USER -v
[IM004][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

This error message is discussed in various web forums, but there seems to
be no systematic way to track down the problem. So I wonder whether there
is another way to access the Oracle data base from Haskell.