[Haskell-cafe] (flawed?) benchmark : sort

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 17:40:35 EST 2008

Hi

> My intuition is only best and fastest code goes to library, to the point
> that people can learn from it. It seems I was mislead.

The compilers change over time - meaning that the fastest code may
change over time. There is also the chance that the original code was
not the best - for example the words function in the standard library
performs two additional isSpace tests per word. The original code
specifies an interface, its thanks to people trying to beat the
performance that things improve.

Thanks

Neil