[Haskell-cafe] Starting Haskell with a web application

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 16:08:09 EST 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at serpentine.com> wrote:

> Jonathan Gardner wrote:
>
> > Where do I get started in writing a web app with Haskell? I am looking
> > more for a framework like Pylons and less like Apache, if that helps.
>
> The closest we currently have to a web framework is Happs
> (http://happs.org/), but it uses the kitchen sink of advanced and
> unusual language extensions, which I think might be why it hasn't got
> all that much momentum.
>
> There's also WASH, but that has an even lower profile.  I couldn't tell
> you if it sees much use, or even builds with recent compilers.

My web host has GHC 6.6 and it builds fine. I like WASH quite a lot, though
it may be a bit heavy-weight for certain applications in the way it does
sessions (though it works really well e.g. when users click the back button
etc.). Maybe zipping up the session state or something would help there (or
maybe it already does this?) - on my simple toy site it takes up around 30%
of the total size, which is a bit hefty.
Oh yeah, I use the preprocessor thing to get the nice syntax, but it's a bit
messy when things go wrong since it passes through a preprocessor before
being compiled.

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+44(0)7857-300802