[Haskell-cafe] Re: (flawed?) benchmark : sort

Krzysztof Skrzętnicki gtener at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 15:31:37 EDT 2008

It certainly makes perfect sense, because total order antisymmetry law
states that

IF a <= b AND b <= a THEN a = b

However it should rather be written

IF a <= b AND b <= a THEN a ~= b,

since = could be any equivalence class. However, we can also specify the Ord
on type

type Foo = Foo Int (Int->Int)

in this way:

instance Ord Foo where
   compare (Foo a _) (Foo b _) = compare a b

which yields equivalence relation that is not assuming equivalence of the
functions.
So this restriction does not seem to work on Adrian Hey's side.

Christopher Skrzętnicki