[Haskell-cafe] ANN: The Disciplined Disciple Compiler - alpha 1

Ben Lippmeier Ben.Lippmeier at anu.edu.au
Thu Mar 20 19:34:59 EDT 2008

Hi Tim,
DDC doesn't aim for Haskell 98 compliance - its really a superset of a
subset of it - but I've followed Haskell syntax and philosophy where
ever possible. The compiler is written in Haskell and I want DDC to
support as much of it as possible to make its eventual boot-strapping
easier. There's much more common ground between Disciple and Haskell
than say, ML and O'Caml, or Haskell and Clean.

Most of the expression syntax is there eg: function binding, lambdas,
let, where, pattern matching, case expressions, pattern guards, data
type definitions, class and instance definitions etc etc.

For the alpha version at least, the main deviations are:
  - dictionary passing is not finished.
  - you'll need to put region annots on recursive data type defs as
the elaboration isn't quite finished.
  - it uses strict evaluation as default
  - field projections are different
  - no monadic desugaring in do notation.
  - no irrefutable patterns yet.

The rest is all Haskell 98 (minus all the effect typing extensions, of
course!).

For the alpha2 release I'm hoping that most straight-up Haskell 98
programs will compile with it after some cosmetic modifications:
mostly adding the suspension operator where appropriate, and using the
new field projection syntax.

Ben.