[Haskell-cafe] Re: SoC project: Python-Haskell bridge - request for feedback

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Thu Mar 27 14:19:24 EDT 2008

I notice that you omit from the advantages of calling Haskell from
Python what I consider the most important reason of all (at least from
the Haskell community side).

The choice of programming language (at least at the top level) is
primarily a political or managerial choice, not a technical one. Python
is not merely a "terrific glue language", it is often the "blessed"
language, and currently the language of choice in some industries,
including my own. This is not just "glue code" either: one in-house
application has about 100,000 lines of Python code (calling a comparable
amount of C++ code)!

Any hope of introducing Haskell into this realm requires a way to work
Haskell in slowly and from the bottom. As such I view your proposed
project as quite valuable, a robust and easy-to-use Python-Haskell
bridge (Python on top) being essential to growing the presence of
Haskell in non-academic circles.

Of course, it may be for this very political reason that you have
omitted the above from your list, in which case I completely understand. :)

Dan