[Haskell-cafe] [GSoC] Parallel Benchmarking and Profiling

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Fri Mar 28 14:06:25 EDT 2008

etienne:
> Hello,
>
> I am putting together a student proposal to participate in Google's
> Summer of Code with one of the following project ideas.
>
> Parallel programming benchmarking and benchmark suite
> - http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1544
>
> Are there open source projects and real world applications that rely
> on GHC's parrallel programming primitives and libraries? I have found

There's many applications on hackage that depend on Control.Concurrent,
forkIO, Channels, MVars and software transactional memory. Relatively
few yet depend on `par` and lightweight parallelism.

> many references to LOLITA, but it seems to be old and not available
> online. The idea page suggests porting existing benchmark suites such
> as PARSEC, but PARSEC is 5G of C code. Most of it seems to come from
> existing applications already written in C. It might also be

Yes, the benefit here would be to build up a set of haskell programs
that do lean on the parallel libraries and primitives. Porting
algorithms from the benchmark suite would be one useful way to do that.

> interesting to automate the discovery of optimal strategies through
> empirical data, and to modify the thresholds dynamically.

See the recent paper by Satnam Singh and Tim Harris,

    http://research.microsoft.com/~satnams/fdp.pdf

on feedback-directed implicit parallelism for Haskell.