[Haskell-cafe] GHC predictability

Jeff Polakow jeff.polakow at db.com
Fri May 9 17:07:12 EDT 2008

Hello,

One frequent criticism of Haskell (and by extension GHC) is that it has
unpredictable performance and memory consumption. I personally do not find
this to be the case. I suspect that most programmer confusion is rooted in
shaky knowledge of lazy evaluation; and I have been able to fix, with
relative ease, the various performance problems I've run into. However I
am not doing any sort of performance critical computing (I care about
minutes or seconds, but not about milliseconds).

I would like to know what others think about this. Is GHC predictable? Is
a thorough knowledge of lazy evaluation good enough to write efficient
(whatever that means to you) code? Or is intimate knowledge of GHC's
innards necessary?

thanks,
  Jeff

PS I am conflating Haskell and GHC because I use GHC (with its extensions)
and it produces (to my knowledge) the fastest code.

---

e-mail is strictly forbidden.