[Haskell-cafe] haskell compiler on NetBSD amd64

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Sat May 10 17:59:18 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 02:36:43PM -0700, Donn Cave wrote:
> > I wonder if it is still possible to use the .hc files already generated
> > for the OpenBSD/amd64 port, and use those to do the port to
> > NetBSD/amd64.
> >
> >     http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/lang/ghc/
>
> That sounds fine to me, if I understand you right - I managed
> to install an OpenBSD partition this afternoon, but if I can
> skip that step, that's fine with me.  I don't see any .hc files
> at that link, though.

Here you go:

http://openbsd.dead-parrot.de/distfiles/ghc-6.6.1-amd64-unknown-openbsd-hc.tar.bz2

I've to admit that the ghc port for OpenBSD is a little bit weird ;-)

(but not as weird as my current work on ghc-6.8 for OpenBSD)

> > Actually, with headers starting to diverge, it might make more sense to
> > just generate the amd64/netbsd .hc files from i386/netbsd -- where
> > there's already a working ghc.
>
> I have ghc 6.4.1 on NetBSD 3.0 i386.  That's the idea, right?

If possible, start with ghc 6.6.1, even if that means to install a
newer version of NetBSD.

> as apparently 6.8 is known to not build from .hc files.  I don't
> understand `with headers starting to diverge'.

Nor do I, but I guess Don meant significant differences in system
libraries (between NetBSD and OpenBSD).

Ciao,
	Kili

--
Weg mit dieser verfluchten Demokratie wo alles das Wort führen will.
		-- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg