[Haskell-cafe] ANN: xmonad-utils 0.1

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun May 11 13:01:17 EDT 2008

Just dropping in a quick note: I've uploaded to Hackage the 0.1 release of xmonad-utils here: <http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/xmonad-utils>. There is of course a Darcs repo available as well: <http://gorgias.mine.nu/repos/xmonad-utils>.

What is xmonad-utils? It's a couple of small Xlib programs which might be useful for Xmonaders. In particular:

* hxsel can replace xclip, and was the foundation for the XMonad.Util.XSelection module in XMonadContrib/; it gets a copy of the copy-paste buffer to manipulate
* hhp is a replacement for unclutter, the famous utility which hides your mouse when not in use and so cleans up your screen (but which is also famously unmaintained and buggy).

I've personally found hhp to be very helpful, so I packaged it all up.

Miscellaneous notes:

* There is also a 'heval' program, which tries to provide an X prompt to a GHC eval through the GHC API, but that may or may not work for you (it doesn't compile for me, but I'm fairly sure that's because my 'directory' package is b0rked in an unrelated manner).
* There is a requirement on cabal >= 1.4; this was needed because older Cabals didn't properly include in the sdist tarball one of the .hsc files. I don't believe it's actually needed to build.

--
gwern
nuclear Monarch NSADS Scud foundation World or Kilo SADMS M-x