[Haskell-cafe] GHC predictability

Abhay Parvate abhay.parvate at gmail.com
Mon May 12 02:35:41 EDT 2008

As a beginner, I had found the behaviour quite unpredictable. But with time
I found that I could reason out the behaviour with my slowly growing
knowledge of laziness. I don't spot all the places in my program that will
suck while writing a program, but post facto many things become clear. (And
then there is the profiler!)

GHC's internal details had been never necessary to me! I aspire to write
computationally heavy programs in haskell in future, and I have been
successful in reaching factors of 3 to 5 with C programs (though I have not
been upto factors of 1 for which I find claims here and there) without any
knowledge of GHC internals. But the GHC user guide is immensely valuable.

I would like to note that beginners' codes are many times time/memory
consuming even in slighly complicated cases, and it may be a big source of
frustration and turn-away if they don't stick up and pursue. This is not a
problem of GHC, or even Haskell; it generally applies to functional
programming.

These are my opinions; I am only an advanced beginner :)