[Haskell-cafe] saner shootout programs

Richard Kelsall r.kelsall at millstream.com
Tue May 13 11:56:36 EDT 2008

Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Richard,
>
> Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 6:10:54 PM, you wrote:
>
>> because I was compiling my splitAt with -O2 optimisation as opposed
>> to the built-in version being compiled with -O. The extra optimisations
>> in -O2 are a new feature of GHC (and -O2 is slower to compile which is
>> why the built-in version doesn't use it, but that doesn't matter for the
>> shootout).
>
> -O2 is very old ghc feature and i think that ghc base library is
> compiled with -O2 - it's too obvious idea

In July 2007 -O2 was documented in GHC as making no difference to
the speed of programs :

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2007-July/029118.html

and from this thread

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2008-April/042155.html

it appears to be currently unused for splitAt.

I guess -O2 has however been around for a long time.

Richard.