[Haskell-cafe] GHC predictability

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Tue May 13 16:30:14 EDT 2008

Darrin Thompson wrote:
> These "tricks" going into Real World Haskell?

Seconded.

> When you say someone
> needs to get familiar with the "STG paper" it scares me (a beginner)
> off a little, an I've been making an effort to approach the papers.

Well, I'm the sort of contrary person who reads random papers like that
just for the fun of it. But when somebody says something like this, I
don't think "ooo, that's scary", I think "ooo, somebody really ought to
sit down and write a more gentle introduction". You really shouldn't
*need* to know the exact implementation details to get some idea of what
will perform well and what won't. But obviously you do need some kind of
high-level understanding of what's going on. The STG paper isn't a good
way to get that high-level overview.