[Haskell-cafe] Richer (than ascii) notation for haskell source?

Patrick Surry Patrick.Surry at portraitsoftware.com
Wed May 14 09:43:44 EDT 2008

Probably a silly question, but for me one of the nice things about
Haskell is that it's a lot like just writing math(s).  But in contrast
to math you lose a lot of notational flexibility being limited to the
ascii character set in your source code.

It would be nice to be able to use a richer set of symbols in your
source code for operators and functions (e.g. integral, sum, dot and
cross-product, ...),  as well as variables (the standard upper and
lower-case greek for example, along with things like super- and
sub-scripting, bold/italic and what-not).  You could imagine ending up
with source code that reads just like a mathematical paper.

Don't know how I'd actually then write/maintain the source-code - some
WYSIWYG editor or effectively writing it in '(la)tex'?  Maybe that's
what Knuth is on about with his 'literate programming' weave/tangle
stuff which I don't know much about - does that translate to Haskell?

Patrick

Patrick.Surry at portraitsoftware.com
<mailto:Patrick.Surry at portraitsoftware.com> , VP Technology

Tel: (617) 457 5230 Mob: (857) 919 1700 Fax: (617) 457 5299 Map
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=125+Summer+St,+Boston,+MA+02110
&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=42.353153,-71.057296&spn=0.022644,0.054245&om=1&iwloc=A

Portrait Software introduces Portrait Campaign Manager
<http://www.portraitsoftware.com/Products/portrait_campaign_manager> :

Easy, integrated campaign management for automated and highly targeted
outbound marketing

http://supportcentre.portraitsoftware.com/Vmail/emailfooter/balloon.gif
<http://www.portraitsoftware.com/>

http://supportcentre.portraitsoftware.com/Vmail/emailfooter/portrait_sof
tware_logo.gif <http://www.portraitsoftware.com/>

www.portraitsoftware.com <http://www.portraitsoftware.com/>

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is intended only for the addressee named above. As this e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information, if you are not the named addressee, you are not authorised to retain, read, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the message from your computer.