[Haskell-cafe] Re: Endianess

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Wed May 14 17:13:57 EDT 2008

>>> So you claim that you pronounce 14 tenty-four? In German pronunciation
>>> is completely uniform from 13 to 99.
>>
>> http://www.verein-zwanzigeins.de/
>
> So I've always wondered, if you are writing down a number being dictated
> (slowly) by someone else, like 234, do you write the 2, then leave space
> and write the 4, then go back and fill in with 3? Or do you push the 4
> onto the stack until the 3 arrives, and write 34 at once.

Germans have no problems with sentences which though started at
the beginning when observed closely and in the light of day (none of
which adds anything to the content of the sentence in which the very
parenthetical remark you -dear reader- are reading at this very moment
while wondering whether the writer -dear me- is ever going to reach
his point -if, in fact, there is a point (of which one cannot always be
entirely sure until one has stored and processed the whole construct
from beginning to end and thought it over carefully at least once more
because who knows, sense appears here and there, now and then,
to this one and that one, and how are you, Mr. Wilson?

> If the latter, does this imply that Germans have a harder time with tail
> recursion?

you mean as in returning from a different context than the one
we decended into? we'd never do such a thing, honestly!-)

then again, Jane Austen was happy enough writing about her
characters not being "one and twenty", so perhaps that is just a
lost art?-)

claus