[Haskell-cafe] Performance: MD5

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Sun May 18 11:44:38 EDT 2008

Peter Verswyvelen <bf3 at telenet.be> writes:

> Is it possible to design hardware that is better suitable for
> functional languages?

As I recall, Lisp machines went out of business when Lisp ran faster
on industry standard, 68000-based Suns and Apollos, than on their
custom hardware with tags and whatnot.

Anyway - with more and more aggressive caching, and ever increasing
number of cores, it looks like C is an even poorer fit for the
hardware than it used to be - and the Vax model has been a gross
approximation for some time now.  Threading and immutable data is
getting popular even in the bare-metal imperative camp.  Perhaps it is
time to break out of the loop?

-k