[Haskell-cafe] My experience setting up Haskell up for GUI development

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sun May 18 16:13:09 EDT 2008

Hello Ben,

Sunday, May 18, 2008, 10:26:09 PM, you wrote:

> So, in practice, do other people write GUI apps with Haskell on
> Windows? And if they do, how do they do it? I feel I've got to the
> stage where I need a concrete recommendation from the experts.

after i've wrote a few thousands lines with gtk2hs, i think the
following:

if main part of your program is GUI - it's better to stick with C# and
all its visual bells and whistles. the only good thing with gtk2hs is
that you got Linux portability for free. actually, people will think
that you have developed it on linux and ported to windows at the last
day :D  look at http://freearc.org screenshots or install program
itself to see that i mean

if you are developing large haskell program and just need to add GUI
frontend to it - you are on the right way

if you develop serious (say, commercial) application - consider
developing algorithm in Haskell and writing GUI in C# or C++ to take
best of both worlds. look for example at http://www.bcgsoft.com/ -
does this make difference compared to my program? :D

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com