[Haskell-cafe] Fun with Darcs

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 18 17:06:35 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 00:35 +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Duncan,
>
> Friday, May 16, 2008, 2:05:53 AM, you wrote:
>
> > Of course if you're deploying a Windows program that uses gtk2hs then
> > using just the runtime dlls is just the right thing to do. Though for
> > that case we provide the runtime dlls:
>
> > http://haskell.org/gtk2hs/win32/
>
> > As an example, here's an installer for a standalone prog that uses
> > gtk2hs but doesn't need ghc or gtk2hs to be installed already:
>
> > http://haskell.org/~duncan/gtk2hs/LSystemSetup.exe
>
> i've just tried that. for me there is still one problem - my program
> includes a lot of other files beside exe and i will be glad to have
> gtk2hs put to separate subtree. is it possible? say,
>
> c:/Program Files/WinArc/winarc.*
> c:/Program Files/WinArc/gtk2hs/bin/*.dll
> c:/Program Files/WinArc/gtk2hs/etc/*
> c:/Program Files/WinArc/gtk2hs/lib/*
>
> and so on

Not easily. Windows looks first for dlls in the same directory as
your .exe program. So in the above layout you'd need your .exe to live
in that bin directory.

If we were able to use windows assembly manifests with ghc on Windows
then it would be possible to put the dlls in a sub directory relative to
your .exe program. At the moment I think we don't have any real support
for assemblies with ghc, mostly because gcc itself doesn't help us
there.

Using assemblies is the right long term solution I think. Using an
"isolated" assembly would also allow us to install Gtk2Hs without having
to mess with the $PATH.

Duncan