[Haskell-cafe] Re: Copying Arrays

Chad Scherrer chad.scherrer at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:45:12 EDT 2008

Jed Brown <jed <at> 59A2.org> writes:
> Uh, ByteString is Unicode-agnostic.  ByteString.Char8 is not.  So why not do IO
> with lazy ByteString and parse into your own representation (which might look a
> lot like StorableVector)?

One problem you might run into doing it this way is if a wide character is split
between two different arrays. In that case you have to do some post-porcessing
to put the pieces back together. More efficient, I think, if you could force a
given alignment when reading in the lazy bytestring. But there's not a way to do
that, is there?

I hope this makes sense. It's the problem I ran into when I tried once to use
lazy bytestrings instead of a storable vector, reasoning that the more recent
fusion work in bytestring would give a speed boost. But then I was doing
numerical stuff, and I don't know much about unicode.

Chad