[Haskell-cafe] Damnit, we need a CPAN.

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Fri May 30 12:34:16 EDT 2008

Am Donnerstag, 29. Mai 2008 17:38 schrieb Achim Schneider:
> […]

> Rationale: We need […] grapefruit authors that commit to hackage

Our reason to not commtting Grapefruit to Hackage so far was that this would
mean making an official release and we thought that Grapefruit is not yet
ready for this.  However, I might be wrong in the sense that also despite its
current deficiencies, Grapefruit should be available from Hackage.  What do
you think?

By the way, it’s nice to hear that there are people which are really
interested in trying Grapefruit out.  It still makes me wonder at times that
I’ve made something that other people find really useful.  (Of course, I’ve
not done Grapefruit alone but Matthias Reisner has also done a notable amount
of work.)  So I would really like to get feedback concerning peoples
impressions about Grapefruit.  Seeing interest in Grapefruit might give me
more motivation for the work on it and therefore speed up its development.

> […]

> Anyway, three hours after wanting to try it out, grapefruit is up and
> running, and I did not even have to install its dependencies by hand. It
> seems like grapefruit could benefit from nestable cabal packages,
> though: It has one big script that installs many packages. You could
> also call them dependencies.

You could create a basically empty package named “grapefruit” which just
depends on all Grapefruit packages.  Debian uses this concept for its
packages.

> […]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang