[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Programme terminates silently

Bertram Felgenhauer bertram.felgenhauer at googlemail.com
Sat May 31 05:46:08 EDT 2008

(redirecting to haskell-cafe. the haskell mailing list is primarily for
announcements)

(sorry, Thomas, if you get this message twice)

Thomas Bevan wrote:
> I've written the programme below.
>
> The lircLoop should never terminate. Unfortunately it does. Worse, no error
> messages are generated.
> Not even the final line "Closing down" is printed.
>
> How is this possible?

I couldn't find the Hmpf.Fork module you're using, so I couldn't test this.

However, one possibility is that program receives a signal that is neither
handled or ignored. This is the case for SIGPIPE [1]. You can strace your
program to find out whether that's the case.

System.Posix.Process provides facilities for installing your own signal
handlers.

HTH,

Bertram

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1619