[Haskell-cafe] Parsec, updateState, and failure

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat May 31 10:39:45 EDT 2008

Dimitry Golubovsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If a parser which updated user state fails, will such update be reverted?

Without actually checking, I would strongly suspect that yes, if a
parser fails, all its state modifications are thrown away. (This is
usually what you would want...)

> Is there any bracket- or try-catch-finally-like mechanism for Parsec?

I don't think so. If you find yourself wanting to parse data differently
depending on stuff you've already seen, you might find it easier to run
a 2-pass parser of some kind.