[Haskell-cafe] Re: [darcs-users] Poll: Do you need to be able to build darcs from source on GHC 6.6?

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sun Nov 2 14:45:43 EST 2008

> I see.  If you're using the darcs 1 binary I would encourage you to
> upgrade.  If  you meant darcs 1 repository format then I would
> encourage you to consider darcs 1 hashed repository format.  You don't
> even have to upgrade the public facing repo.  Just 'darcs get --hashed
> ...'.

I mean that I'm currently using Debian's 1.0.3 on my stable servers, and
the old repository format all over the place.  I'm using 2.0.2 on my
desktop machines.

I will definitely switch to the Darcs 2 implementation at some point, but
Darcs 1 hasn't broken down yet, and I've got other stuff to do right now.

>> The alternative is to build a static version of Darcs that I can install on
>> my stable (soon to be oldstable) servers.

That might actually be the simplest solution, now I come to think about it.

>> The alternative to both alternatives is to switch to git.

> Right.  But I hope you're not saying that because you find this thread
> upsetting.

No.  That was just a way of pointing out that other revision control
systems do not have such complex build dependencies.

                                        Juliusz