[Haskell-cafe] Problems with strictness analysis?

Patai Gergely patai_gergely at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 4 06:18:21 EST 2008

Thanks everyone for the answers. I understood the underlying mechanism,
and I did see that turning on optimisation helps, as I said in the
comments. I just wasn't aware that this analysis is not turned on by
default, my bad for not reading the FM.

So the final verdict is that type and strictness annotations are
unavoidable when it comes to improving performance. This is no big
surprise. My only problem is that if I try to write a program without
thinking about performance first and not bothering with annotations as
long as "it works", I end up with something that's practically
impossible to profile as the costs spread everywhere. I'd be curious to
hear about "best practices" to avoid this, while also getting the most
out of type inference and various analyses to cut down on developer
effort. How should I approach writing a large application in Haskell?

Gergely