[Haskell-cafe] Re: Automatic parallelism in Haskell, similar to "make -j4"?

Chad Scherrer chad.scherrer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 22:34:01 EST 2008

T Willingham <t.r.willingham <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I am thinking of our troglodytic friend 'make', which will run (for
> example) 4 parallel jobs when given the option "make -j4".  Even
> 'rake', the ruby version of make, now has a branch (called drake)
> which does the parallel -j option.

>From the replies I've seen about this, I think it's been interpreted as asking
whether ghc could compile a given program so that it will execute in parallel.
In general that's a hard problem.

On the other hand, it should be really straightforward (in principle, I mean) to
get something going like
ghc --make -j4 Foo.hs
similar to your make example, so that compile time could be reduced, while the
execution could either be sequential or parallel. I don't think there's anything
like this yet (is there?).

Does anyone have any thought what it would take to get this going?

Chad