[Haskell-cafe] Re: cabal install HaXml installs wrong version unless I specify the version number

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 06:39:53 EST 2008

When I specify

Build-Depends:  base, parsec, HaXml >= 1.19.4

in xml-parsec.cabal

it does install correctly.

I guess what happens is that cabal install takes the earliest version
of a package registered to try to build. I guess that's a reasonable
default.

What seems unreasonable to me is that cabal continued to take the
earlier version even after I hid it with ghc-pkg hide.

My advice would be to improve the error message to read

"...    Could not find module `Text.XML.HaXml.Posn':
      it is a member of package HaXml-1.19.4, which is hidden
      It can be unhidden by adding

      Build-Depends: HaXml >= 1.19.4

  to xml-parsec.cabal"

That leaves the issue of cabal upgrade not upgrading to the latest
version available on hackage, which still feels like a real bug to me.

Best, Thomas.