[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.10.1 and cabal[-install]

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Wed Nov 19 04:28:35 EST 2008

Am Dienstag, 18. November 2008 22:24 schrieben Sie:
> > > How do I install and configure it so that it is integrated best with
> > > GHC 6.10.1?  For example, should cabal use some directory in the GHC
> > > tree to place compiled packages in?
>
> The defaults for user or global should be fine. There is no need to put
> additional packages into the ghc install tree, indeed I would recommend
> against doing that.

Hmm, /usr/local is not so fine for me since it makes packages hard(er) to
uninstall.  I use stow (<http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/>).

> > Cabal wants to place package info in $HOME/.cabal.  However, I want to
> > install packages globally with sudo.  So I want to have a global package
> > cache.  Is there a common directory to be used for that or is
> > cabal[-install] only for per-user installations?
>
> It can do per-user or global. Per-user is the default.
>
> If you want to do the build as user and just the install as root then
> you can use the --global --root-cmd=sudo options. If you want to use
> this every time then you can set that in the ~/.cabal/config file.

I want the package cache etc. global.  The problem is that with sudo, cabal
still uses $HOME/.cabal where $HOME is the home directory of the ordinary
user (not the one of root).

Does --global change the directory for cabal configuration and the package
cache to something different than $HOME/.cabal?

> The cabal user guide lists the default install directories for global
> and user installs.

Okay, I looked at the cabal-install docs.  And the only doc seems to be the
output of cabal with the --help option.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang