[Haskell-cafe] Pattern matching on numbers?

Tobias Bexelius tobias.bexelius at avalanchestudios.se
Wed Nov 19 06:01:03 EST 2008

Yes, fromInteger and == is used for pattern matching on numbers.
However, on GHC you can use -XNoImplicitPrelude to make it use whatever
fromInteger and == that's in scope (without any Num or Eq).

Eg. if == is a method of MyEq class and fromInteger is a method of
MyNum, and MyNum doesn't inherit MyEq, then the type of this function

f 0 = ""
f x = 'e' : f (x-1)

Will be inferred as (MyEq a, MyNum a) => a -> String

/Tobias