[Haskell-cafe] Windows vs. Linux x64

Bartosz Wójcik bartek at sudety.it
Mon Nov 24 18:56:27 EST 2008

Hi Everybody,

while working on my resent project I've noticed that my code seems to be
faster under Windows than under Linux x64.
More exactly this was an AI game evaluator that ran on given parameters. There
was no IO performed. I've run 3 lots of test on both systems and stored some
figures. It was physicaly the same PC.

1st lot
WinXP
total time = 27.18 secs (1359 ticks @ 20 ms)
total alloc = 5,788,242,604 bytes (excludes profiling overheads)
Linux
total time  =       34.44 secs   (1722 ticks @ 20 ms)
total alloc = 11,897,757,176 bytes  (excludes profiling overheads)

2nd lot
WinXP
total time = 63.96 secs (3198 ticks @ 20 ms)
total alloc = 13,205,507,148 bytes (excludes profiling overheads)
Linux
total time  =       80.76 secs   (4038 ticks @ 20 ms)
total alloc = 27,258,694,888 bytes  (excludes profiling overheads)

3rd lot
WinXP
total time = 207.10 secs (10355 ticks @ 20 ms)
total alloc = 44,982,716,780 bytes (excludes profiling overheads)
Linux
total time = 267.58 secs (13379 ticks @ 20 ms)
total alloc = 92,307,482,416 bytes (excludes profiling overheads)

I've used the same compile and runtime options for both. I've tried to run
with -H option, but this didn't improve anything.
Is this common behaviour? Does anybody know what can be the reason?

regards,
Bartek