[Haskell-cafe] monads with take-out options

Greg Meredith lgreg.meredith at biosimilarity.com
Tue Nov 25 02:09:22 EST 2008

Claus,
Thanks for your thoughtful response. Let me note that fully abstract
semantics for PCF -- a total toy, mind you, just lambda + bools + naturals
-- took some 25 years from characterization of the problem to a solution.
That would seem to indicate shoe-horning, in my book ;-). Moreover, when i
look at proposals to revisit Church versus Parigot encodings for data
structures (ala Oliveira's thesis), i think we are still at the very
beginnings of an understanding of how data fits into algebraic accounts of
computation (such as lambda and π-calculi).

Obviously, we've come a long way. The relationship between types and
pattern-matching, for example, is now heavily exploited and generally a good
thing. But, do we really understand what's at work here -- or is this just
another 'shut up and calculate' situation, like we have in certain areas of
physics. Frankly, i think we are really just starting to understand what
types are and how they relate to programs. This really begs fundamental
questions. Can we give a compelling type-theoretic account of the separation
of program from data?

The existence of such an account has all kinds of implications, too. For
example, the current "classification" of notions of quantity (number) is
entirely one of history and accident.

   - Naturals
   - Rationals
   - Constructible
   - Algebraic
   - Transcendental
   - Reals
   - Complex
   - Infinitessimal
   - ...

Can we give a type theoretic reconstruction of these notions (of traditional
data types) that would unify -- or heaven forbid -- redraw the usual
distinctions along lines that make more sense in terms of applications that
provide value to users? Conway's ideas of numbers as games is remarkably
unifying and captures all numbers in a single elegant data type. Can this
(or something like it) be further rationally partitioned to provide better
notions of numeric type? Is there a point where such an activity hits a wall
and what we thought was data (real numbers; sequences of naturals; ...) are
just too close to programs to be well served by data-centric treatments?

Best wishes,

--greg

--
L.G. Meredith