[Haskell-cafe] Interactive

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 25 13:43:11 EST 2008

Thomas DuBuisson wrote:
> Here are the links that hold the information you desire:
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Frag
> http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~pls/thesis/munc-thesis.pdf
> <http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/%7Epls/thesis/munc-thesis.pdf>
>
> In short: FRP
> http://www.haskell.org/frp/
>
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Andrew Coppin
> <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com <mailto:andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have a small question...
>
>     Given that interactivity is Really Hard to do in Haskell, and that
>     mutable state is to be strongly avoided, how come Frag exists?
>     (I.e., how did they successfully solve these problems?)

Having read the paper [again], I'm still don't understand a word of it.
So I'm still wondering how Frag actually works.

OOP seems like such a natural fit for describing the behaviour of a
network of independent objects. But Haskell seems to require you to make
a new, modified copy of the entire game state at each frame, which
sounds... highly non-performant.

What am I not seeing?