[Haskell-cafe] Re: Philip Wadler video on Howard-Curry Correspondence ???

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Thu Nov 27 06:51:29 EST 2008

Incidentally, Haskell is mentioned several times in the Dr. Dobbs
Journal article on the Wadler paper:

Dr. Dobb's | Old ideas form the basis of advancements in functional
programming | 12 1, 2000
http://www.ddj.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=184404384

Specifically:

>Languages that took more direct inspiration from lambda calculus include:

>Haskell, named for Haskell Curry (Hudak, Peyton Jones, Wadler, and others, 1987; see http://haskell.org/).

and

>Standard ML is noted for its exploration of module types, Haskell for its type classes, and O'Caml for its object-oriented types. Standard ML, Haskell, and O'Caml are all continuing development, and innovation in their type systems is one of the principal directions of research.

and

>Applications built on top of functional languages, and which themselves use type systems in innovative ways, include:  ... Lolita, a natural language understanding system (implemented in Haskell) ...

and

>... Yarrow in Haskell (http://www.cs.kun.nl/~janz/ yarrow/) ...

The article discusses the impact of logic on functional programming,
citing examples including those involving Haskell, and mentions a
correspondence between types and proofs.

-- Benjamin L. Russell