[Haskell-cafe] Re: Shared modification inside lambdas

Chung-chieh Shan ccshan at post.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 28 10:43:24 EST 2008

Andrew Hunter <ahunter at cs.hmc.edu> wrote in article <20081128002121.GJ8427 at knuth.cs.hmc.edu> in gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe:
> All well and good, but it seems to me that if I'm
> embedding the DSl, shouldn't I be able to use the host language's
> facilities--for example, function abstractions and
> applications--directly?

Indeed.  Using binding in the host language to represent binding in the
embedded language is called higher-order abstract syntax (HOAS).

> Well, I tried this, and it seems it works OK, like so:
>
> data Expr = Var String
>           | Const Int
>           | Plus Expr Expr
>           | Quantified Range (Int -> Expr)

(Do you still need or even want "Var String"?)

> ... I could write something like:
>
> refine (Quantified range pred) = Quantified range pred'
>   where
>     pred' = \c -> refine (pred c)
>
> But the problem is that this refines the term, again, every time I
> apply an argument to pred' ...

The paper by Jacques Carette, Oleg Kiselyov, and me
    http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~ccshan/tagless/jfp.pdf
(revised version to appear in JFP) shows how to perform partial
evaluation (which is an optimization, like your refinement) using HOAS.
However, it's a bit tricky, in a language like Haskell (98) without
so-called metaprogramming or staging facilities at the term level, to
make the optimizations happen only once (rather than every time the
embedded abstraction is invoked).  It can be done!  Let me point you to
some code that we only mention in passing in that paper, which performs
type-checking using HOAS.  The type-checking happens only once; then the
type-checked term can be interpreted many times.
    http://okmij.org/ftp/tagless-final/
    http://okmij.org/ftp/tagless-final/IncopeTypecheck.hs
Hope this helps.

--