[Haskell-cafe] Compilers

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Fri Nov 28 22:41:42 EST 2008

john:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 07:20:12PM -0800, Jason Dagit wrote:
> > I spoke with the author of the fork a bit in IRC around the time it happened
> > and my understanding is that:
> > 1) John sternly objects to using cabal as the build system for JHC
>
> This is a fairly silly reason to fork a project, especially jhc, for a
> number of reasons.

One of the reasons though, for the branching, is that the potential
developers, who all have Haskell toolchains, couldn't do:

    $ cabal install jhc

Then now can, but have to write 'lhc' instead of 'jhc'.

We've probably just increased the jhc "alpha user" base 10 fold. Hooray!

Integrating into the ecology of the vast majority of Haskell code is a
good way to get and keep developers. And since GHC -- which we need to
build JHC anyway -- already ships with Cabal, no additional dependencies
are required.

Looks like win to me.

-- Don