[Haskell-cafe] "Could not find module ... which is hidden" problem

Belka lambda-belka at yandex.ru
Sun Nov 30 02:22:26 EST 2008

Hello!

----------------------------START----------------------------------
$ sudo runghc Setup configure --user
Configuring HCL-1.2...

$ sudo runghc Setup build
Preprocessing library HCL-1.2...
Preprocessing executables for HCL-1.2...
Building HCL-1.2...

HCL.hs:302:7:
    Could not find module `System.Random':
      it is a member of package random-1.0.0.1, which is hidden

$ sudo ghc-pkg expose random
Saving old package config file... done.
Writing new package config file... done.

$ sudo runghc Setup configure --user
Configuring HCL-1.2...

$ sudo runghc Setup build
Preprocessing library HCL-1.2...
Preprocessing executables for HCL-1.2...
Building HCL-1.2...

HCL.hs:302:7:
    Could not find module `System.Random':
      it is a member of package random-1.0.0.1, which is hidden

---------------------THE-END----------------------------------------

Perhaps, i'm 1000th, who asks how to solve this. Sorry that didn't search
better, but it's really tiring for a newby. :-(
[ http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Upgrading_packages/Updating_to_GHC_6.8
Here ] found something, which maybe called "a gentle explaination" of what's
going on. I have ghc ver: 6.8.2, base ver: 3.0.1.0.

So there are 2 questions of mine:
(1) Is there any centralized and well organized Haskell Knowledge Base,
where it would be much easier to find solutions for "popular" problems?
Anybody, please, your recommendations.
(2) As for the topic: the only option for me would be obtaining older GHC
(base?) - is that correct? So that require me reinstalling every Haskell
package I have installed so far?

Thanks in advance.