[Haskell-cafe] Re: Announcing OneTuple-0.1.0

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 04:13:48 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 02:56:08 -0400, John Dorsey <haskell at colquitt.org>
wrote:

>Fellow Haskellers,
>
>Much attention has been paid over the years to the regrettable
>omission of singleton tuples from Haskell.
>
>I am pleased to announce OneTuple, a humble implementation of the
>singleton tuple for Haskell.

Wonderful!  I'm intrigued....

>Note:  the singleton tuple does not support tuple syntax.

What is the syntax for the singleton tuple?  We have a dilemma:  If we
extend the singleton syntax to support non-singleton tuples, then
we'll have at least two definitions of a tuple for each non-singleton
tuple, which is syntactically inelegant; however, if we don't, then
the singleton syntax will be different from the non-singleton syntax,
which is also syntactically inelegant.

What is your solution?

-- Benjamin