[Haskell-cafe] Shooting your self in the foot with Haskell

Arnar Birgisson arnarbi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 05:15:25 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 00:39, Bill <william.wood3 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 16:46 -0400, John Van Enk wrote:
>   . . .
>> I fully realize how un-clever this is. Some one please give me
>> something more worth of the original list. :)
>
> You shoot the gun but nothing happens (Haskell is pure, after all).

Realizing that I pressed "reply" instead of "reply to all" yesterday,
here's my message again (sorry Bill).

A little refinement: You shoot in the direction of your foot, but
since you are inside the STM monad you can just retry until you figure
out what to do.

Alternatively:

You shoot yorself in the foot, but you are perfectly fine as long you
just don't evaluate the foot.

Same, but more subtle:

You shoot yourself in the foot, but nothing happens unless you start walking.

cheers,
Arnar