[Haskell-cafe] Climbing up the shootout...

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Thu Oct 2 07:32:34 EDT 2008

Don Stewart ha scritto:
> Thanks to those guys who've submitted parallel programs to the language
> benchmarks game, we're climbing up the rankings, now in 3rd, and ahead
> of C :)
>
>     http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all
>
> Just one or two more parallel programs required...
>
> Submit them here, and we can test on quad core,
>
>     http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Shootout/Parallel

There is a lot of efforts to improve CPU time, but what about memory usage?

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ghc&lang2=ghc

Compared to C versions:
mandelbrot requires 18x memory
k-nucleotide requires 13x memory
reverse-complement requires 4.9x memory

The main problem is with k-nucleotide, that requires a total of
2,920,980 KB!
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/benchmark.php?test=knucleotide&lang=all&sort=kb

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/benchmark.php?test=revcomp&lang=all&sort=kb

For mandelbrot there is an alternate version with better memory and CPU
usage.

> -- Don

Manlio Perillo