[Haskell-cafe] Re: Health effects

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Thu Oct 2 08:05:33 EDT 2008

Adrian Neumann <aneumann at inf.fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Does this work with more than two colours? i.e. can I recursively
> subdivide the halves into quarters with another cut?

I don't think so.

In order to divide a group, a line needs to pass through somewhere "in
the middle", or more precisely, it must intersect the convex hull of
the group.

Now group each category together so that their convex hulls don't
overlap.  A solution with two lines and four categories would require
the two lines would need to have four disjoint points of intersection.
Which is too many. :-)

-k